Re: VPN ideas

On Tue, Dec 08, 2020 at 08:12:09AM +0100, john doe wrote:
> On 12/8/2020 1:50 AM, Charles Curley wrote:
> >On Mon, 7 Dec 2020 23:27:25 +0200
> >ellanios82 <ellanios82@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >>   - any suggestions please , for a handy VPN for everyday use : no
> >>specific purpose, but only to add a little more privacy ??
> >
> >With no requirements, it is difficult to say.
> >
> >Will a VPN be overkill? Would you be better off with openSSH to log in
> >remotely?
> >

> If you use SSH only the SSH connection will be encrypted, the way I read
> the OP's question is that all traffic should be encrypted through the VPN.

You can tunnel things through an SSH. See the -X option (to tunnel an
X connection) and all the -L and -R options to proxy a socket.

As a simple-to-set-up VPN, SSH is unbeatable. It has its downsides, mind
you; the SSH protocol isn't optimised for such things. But if you're using
SSH day-to-day, then starting with it and re-thinking once you reach some
bandwidth/latency limit is a very sensible path.

For the occasional customer with some (stupid Java) app which can't live
without a GUI (go figure!), I do regularly tunnel X11 VNC over SSH. Works
like a charm.

Cheers
 - t