Re: [Emc-users] buster warning

On Saturday 05 December 2020 15:47:02 Felix Miata wrote:

> Gene Heskett composed on 2020-12-05 11:52 (UTC-0500):
> >>
> >> I'm sure "ip a" mentions 'enp1s0' not '/dev/enp1s0'.
> >
> > Correct, my short term memory isn't that error free any more.
>
> Do you remember eth0? Would you like it back? I always have it (lots
> of PCs). To get it I use option #3 from the bottom of:
> https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkIn
>terfaceNames/

That might be handy Felix, but is unrelated to the problem at hand.

What I found when this occurred at buster install time, and it took this
to remind me of a day wasted when I installed buster, was what appears
to be a race condition between avahi assigning an absolutely bogus
routing table in the 169.xx.xx.xx range, and ifup trying to read the
interfaces file to get the proper route. Or something along those lines.

So The fix is brute force by rm'ing the avahi-daemon which stops all that
BS and does not generate a logable error when whatever cals it can't
find it.

Works until the next reboot after the avahi-daemon has been replaced by
the package manager, in this case synaptic. So this time I got brave and
had synaptic remove that piece crap again, which also removed a dns
related library.  But since all that is specced in the /e/n/i file, and
I use a hosts file for local address resolution, so for me its a total
never mind. Since cups does its own thing anyway, I have never figured
out ANY justification for wasting drive space with any of the many avahi
related bits and pieces.  They are a headache waiting in the wings, and
I fail to see the justification for jamming that crap down the users
throats. Simply put, if it gets a chance to run, it gets it WRONG. And
not even root can reassign a good route, I've literally spent days
trying. It goes thru the motions, but look 5 seconds later and the wrong
address is back in the routing table.

This may not be 100% correct, may not even be the right theory, but it
sure fixes the problem it has created. And its been a headache here
since Jessie.

And while you haven't been abusive about it, I am plumb put out by the
denigrating and downright insulting remarks aimed at me for using a
hosts file for local dns. For me, setting up a dhcp daemon for local
address resolution is just more system bloat, wasted cpu cycles etc.

Thanks Felix, stay safe and well now.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis