Re: Problem with Xserver

On 12/4/20 2:04 PM, Dan Ritter wrote:
Klaus Jantzen wrote:
Hi,

yesterday I encountered a problem with using the console with zsh.

In the internet I found a "solution": modify 'allowed_users' in
/etc/X11/Xwrapper.config.

I made the change and that was it.

Now the autlogin does not work anymore. Instead the normal login screen is
shown. But the login as the normal user results in

a short blank screen and a new login screen is shown (obviously the system
does not like me anymore); i.e. I cannot log in as user.

I can log in as root and can do whatever I want there.

I am using Debian Buster AMD64 (updated weekly), XFCE4 desktop with lightdm.

Does anybody have a suggestion on how to solve this problem?
Obviously, some users are not allowed_users.

man Xwrapper.config says:

     allowed_users = rootonly|console|anybody

     Specify  which  users may start the X server
     through the wrapper. Use rootonly to only allow root, use console to
     only allow users logged into a physical console, and use anybody to
     allow anybody.  The default is console.

Have you set it to "anybody"?

-dsr-

Thanks for your quick reply.

Originally the setting in Xwrapper.config was 'allowed-users=console'.

I changed that to '...=anybody' and that 'killed me'.

Even a 'dpkg-reconfigure ..' as recommended in the comments of Xwrapper.config did not help.

Looking further I found a rather brutal solution to the problem:

==> remove ~/.Xauthority

I did that, I can login, autologin works: my machine accepts me as user again!

The original problem still exists, but that seems to be a zsh/xorg-problem. I will have to see how that can be resolved.

K.D.J.