Re: swamp rat bots Q

On Friday 04 December 2020 01:03:34 Andy Smith wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Fri, Dec 04, 2020 at 12:03:57AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > what file do I edit to add todays
> > /var/log/httpd/other_vhosts_access.log to its list of logs to
> > watch.  That's the log file with the real data in it today.  And
> > does it need enabled in another, different file.
>
> Again we have been down this avenue before, but I will try one last
> time.
>
> It seems quite likely that the bot you have a problem with has the
> same user agent string, or a very small variation on the same
> string. If so then you can block it just with Apache.
>
> So, can you show us a few lines of logs from your
> /var/log/httpd/other_vhosts_access.log of the accesses from the
> offending bot(s)?

No.  Bad idea.

By publishing the name of the bot, it probably will be changed before the
day is done. Far better IMO to tell me what files I need to edit, and
the expected syntax of those edits. Much more universally usefull.  Or,
update the package so it actually does something OOTB and let us run
from there once we can actually see it working and or generating errors
that will educate us, however poorly.
> Cheers,
> Andy

Cheers, Gene Heskett