Re: i386 debian to 64bit intel

On 12/3/20 2:39 PM, Jerry Mellon wrote:
Hi,
I am new to linux and made the mistake of loading the i386 Debian
release 10 onto my 64bit intel system. I now want to put the 64bit
version for intel on the system.

Why?

Do I have to backup the data I have in my $HOME directory

You should backup any system configuration files you create or modify and backup your data regularly (e.g. daily) and before any significant system administration task, regardless of what operating system you are running.

You should have more than one backup device, and follow some periodic duplication and/or rotation procedure.

You should create permanent archives of your data periodically -- e.g. burn to optical discs.

to load after
the i386 OS and retain the $HOME contents?????

Perhaps.

What is the make, model, part number, and component list of your computer?

Do you have any other computers, spare parts, external drives, etc.? If so, what?

Which Debian Installer (d-i) image did you download?

Did you keep a record of the choices you made when you ran the d-i? If so, please post.

Please run the following commands as root and post your complete console session -- prompts, commands entered, and output displayed:

# cat /etc/debian_version

# uname -a

# fdisk -l

# cat /etc/fstab