Re: Why use an email client AND sendmail/popa3d - Does this avoid the hijack?

On Wed, 25 Nov 2020 00:08:27 +0000
mick crane <mick.crane@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2020-11-23 12:19, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> > On Lu, 23 nov 20, 14:27:36, Keith Bainbridge wrote:
> >> So does htis get a new subject in the list?
> >>
> >> Good afternon All
> >>
> >> I was interested to read that Flo, the OP, uses separate mail
> >> collection, sendmail and thunderbird. Some of the replies sound
> >> like this is a common practice.
> >>
> >> What are the advantages of this set of processes over letting
> >> tbird do it all? - or any other client for that matter?
> >
> > It makes it easier to switch between different e-mail clients if the
> > sending and/or receiving is handled externally, e.g. one might use a
> > graphical e-mail client in general and a text mode client
> > occasionally.
> >
> > Such a setup also typically uses standard locations for the storage
> > (as opposed to e-mail client specific), which makes it easier to
> > add more functionality (e.g. serve local e-mail via IMAP) or
> > replace individual components.
>
> As I can make out if you try to do the useful stuff on your home
> network like having Dovecot doing your mail it is really a bodge if
> you are not advertising those services on the internet.

As I've posted elsewhere, I run my own servers and don't open the email
ports to the world (other than SMTP). I use ssh with port forwarding to
reach email from outside, or occasionally OpenVPN.

> I am I suppose in the domain of Sky who provide my wired connection
> so I use sky/yahoo SMTP server as part of service but they add to
> outgoing email "Reply-Path" being my Sky user account in the headers
> which seems to be confusing exim email lists and results in rejected
> or bounced emails recently.
> I'd like to sort it out to avoid that if I knew what they were doing.
> I like things as they are when it is working and really, really don't
> want to go the whole hog of advertising email services. I think it is
> some relatively new thing where they are double authenticating or
> something but ideally I don't know why SMTP server does just pass
> message along and not add items to the header except they received it
> and passed it along to the recipient.

As it happens outside your control, there's not a lot you can do about
it other than hire an email service that is fairly professional i.e.
not a domestic service whose primary client base is children (of all
ages). A lot of domestic providers insist that you send using one of
their email addresses, which doesn't suit everyone. I lease a few
domains and I expect to use them for my email addresses.

--
Joe