Re: Instructions for command line usage of WiFi.

    From: Reco <recoverym4n@enotuniq.net>
    Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2020 08:25:39 +0300
> The wpasupplicant package provides wpa-* ifupdown options for
> /etc/network/interfaces. If these options are specified, wpa_supplicant
> is started in the background when your wireless interface is raised and
> stopped when brought down.

> "allow-hotplug" tells udev to raise a network interface after it's
> attached to the kernel. This result of ifup is expected.

OK, thanks.  Same as "auto <interface>"?

The best documentation I've found is here.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/wpa_supplicant

For command line operation, authentication credentials can be in
/etc/network/interfaces.

Alternatively credentials can be in
/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
with this line in /etc/network/interfaces.
wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
(I haven't seen an example with all the wpa-supplicant configuration in interfaces.)

Once that is arranged I need only three commands.
ifdown wlxa0f3c10a28f7
ifup   wlxa0f3c10a28f7
ip a     # To see the current status.

Wicd is no longer needed but leaving it installed seems harmless. (When
wayland/weston is reliable I'll try to survive without lxde.)

This is the only oddity evident after ifup wlxa0f3c10a28f7.

  DHCPDISCOVER on wlxa0f3c10a28f7 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 3
  send_packet: No buffer space available
  dhclient.c:2445: Failed to send 300 byte long packet over wlxa0f3c10a28f7 interface.

Nevertheless, after a few more lines from DHCP the link works.
Any ideas about buffer space?

As Stefan mentioned, terms "client/server" work.  I'm the client attempting
to authenticate to a server.

Thanks,                                 ... P.

--
Tel: +1 604 670 0140            Bcc: peter at easthope. ca