Re: Why use an email client AND sendmail/popa3d - trying to NOT hijack

On 2020-11-23 at 05:43, Joe wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Nov 2020 13:21:25 +1100 Keith Bainbridge
> <ke1thozgroups@gmx.com> wrote:

>> PS  Am I wrong to avoid 'everyting in 1 file' where possible (mail
>> dir rather than mbox in this case)? OK this is probably a whole
>> separate topic.
>
> As I've posted elsewhere, I have about 3GB of email. I would not
> consider putting that in one file.

Speaking as a user of Thunderbird, I have ~20GB of E-mail (including
archives which date back well over a decade if not further), split
across a few accounts plus the "Local Folders" non-account.

It's divided into a total of 422 different mail-client-displayed
"folders" (although some of them are parent-folder only, they don't
contain actual messages), each of which is stored as a single file (not
mbox or similar, but the internal "Mork" database format, which as I
understand matters even Thunderbird may now be moving away from).

That averages out to ~47MB per file. After discounting the
otherwise-empty parent folders, the realistic figure is actually
probably somewhere in the 100MB-200MB range. When a given mailing list's
folder gets too large for my taste (or large enough that I start to
notice delays reading or writing that folder), I create a separate
"archive" folders for it by year, and move previous years' mail from
that folder into those per-year archive folders; this tends to happen
when the folder's contents reach somewhere between 10,000 and 20,000
messages.

This isn't necessarily a particularly ideal way of handling things, but
it's worked well for me thus far.

--
   The Wanderer