Re: rsync link corruption with -H and --link-dest

On Sun, Nov 22, 2020 at 02:36:06PM +0000, Gareth Evans wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Nov 2020, at 08:44, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

[mumble mumble]

> Thanks for your explanation Tomas.

You are welcome. But bear in mind that this is yet a hunch, not
backed by evidence, so use with care :)

> > Please, don't hijack threads
>
> ...but what did I do wrong re thread hijacking?
>
> I understand that to mean changing the content of an existing thread, as a quick google seems to confirm.
>
> I did delete the content and change the subject of an existing email, which appears to me to create a new thread, rather than preserving "conversation" links to the deleted content/subject.
>
> Am I mistaken or did you mean something else?

Don't take that personally. Just as a reminder to us all. I do fall
into this trap from time to time, too.

In your case, you did edit the subject -- but you left the message
references intact. Quoting from your headers:

          <[🔎] 1182213078.73974.1605925808686@mail.yahoo.com>
          <[🔎] 20201121085613.GA12787@tuxteam.de> <[🔎] E1kgYR5-0004Cq-4S@wb5agz>
          <[🔎] 20201121213621.GN7548@bitfolk.com> <[🔎] E1kgfQq-0006Ay-0j@wb5agz>
          <[🔎] 20201122042154.GU7548@bitfolk.com>

Especially the header In-Reply-To is used by MUAs (and archive software)
to link mails together. In this case, it refers to a mail by Andy Smith
with the subject "780 files in /usr/share/zoneinfo/".

Cheers
 - t