Re: 780 files in /usr/share/zoneinfo/

Hi Martin,

On Sat, Nov 21, 2020 at 01:20:39PM -0600, Martin McCormick wrote:
> 	I just cd'd to that directory and it looks like there's
> about 1 GB there.

Are you sure about this? There is no Debian or Ubuntu host I have
access to that has a /usr/share/zoneinfo/ that contains more than
4MiB of data. For yours to have 256 times this much is quite an
aberration. What did you type to determine that your
/usr/share/zoneinfo/ has 1GiB of data in it?

> 	I've wished one could just set certain parts of the
> computer to other times but I can also understand why this could
> be a problem.

You can set any process to have a different time zone by use of
environment variables.

$ date
Sat 21 Nov 21:34:55 UTC 2020
$ TZ=America/Los_Angeles date