Re: adding a second HDD in debian

Hello,

On Sat, Nov 21, 2020 at 06:31:53PM -0400, Antonio Barragan wrote:
> I have a PC with Debian 10 installed (on dev/sda), and working properly.
> Now I would like to add to it a second, 150 GB HDD (SATA), taken from
> another machine.

[…]

> How could that be done?

If you don't have hot swap drive bays:

- Power off your computer
- Fit the new drive in the chassis and plug it into a free SATA port
- Boot your computer again

If you do have hot swap drive bays:

- Insert the new drive into a spare drive slot

Then:

- cat /proc/partitions to see what new partitions have appeared
- check /var/log/syslog and dmesg to see what new drives have been
  seen

Most likely the partitions from the new drive just appear and can be
mounted somewhere, put in /etc/fstab and so on.

A possible failure mode is that your computer reorders its drives
and the new one becomes sda. This may interfere with your boot
process. Hopefully you referred to everything by UUID or label so
that this doesn't happen. If it does cause problems just take the
new drive out again and things should return to normal. Then you may
have to consider swapping cables between ports, or adjusting BIOS
boot order, or similar.

Most of the time though, just plugging the new drive in goes fine.

Cheers,
Andy