Re: Certbot in Buster

On Thu 19 Nov 2020 at 08:34:24 (-0500), Michael Stone wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 19, 2020 at 09:11:10AM +0200, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> > >
> > > I wouldn't do that, just download the appropiate debs from
> > >
> > > http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/p/python-certbot/certbot_1.8.0-1_all.deb
> > > http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/p/python-certbot/python3-certbot_1.8.0-1_all.deb
> > > http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/p/python-acme/python3-acme_1.8.0-1_all.deb
> >
> > Agreed.
> >
> > > run
> > >  sudo dpkg -i *.deb
> > > then
> > >  sudo apt --fix-broken install
> > > to clean up any dangling dependencies
> >
> > It might work also to just run (with sudo as needed):
> >
> >    apt install ./*.deb
>
> yes! I thought there was a way to specify a deb but the man page was
> no help and I never use apt for that myself. :) So do it that way and
> the dependencies will be handled in one step.

I think the only mention of this I've seen (apart from debian-user)
is in /usr/share/doc/apt/changelog.gz where there is

  apt (1.3~pre3) unstable; urgency=medium

    […]

    [ David Kalnischkies ]
    […]
    * support "install ./foo.changes"

    […]

   -- Julian Andres Klode <jak@debian.org>  Thu, 04 Aug 2016 10:23:49 +0200

I have noticed that the sometimes unintended patterns discussed in
are being eliminated in bullseye, in favour of a formal aptitude-like
syntax. No word AFAICT on install ./foo.deb, ../foo.deb, /foo.deb etc.

As I wrote before, I don't know why they didn't use a commandline
option like   install -f foo.deb   to indicate installing a file
rather than a package.

Cheers,
David.