Re: Corruption of Samba mount points

On Thu, 19 Nov 2020 08:40:35 -0500
songbird <songbird@anthive.com> wrote:

> Joe wrote:
> > No other replies, so I assume this is another of My Personal Bugs.
> > I've reported a few bugs over the years that have turned out to be
> > visible only to me. I don't suppose there are any two identical
> > installations of sid anywhere in the world.
> >
> > Maybe this is a hint that it's time to reinstall, this installation
> > is probably at least ten years old, and there have been about nine
> > packages that can't be upgraded for a couple of months now. But
> > that's going to be the best part of a day that I can't really
> > spare...
>
>   if the hardware is that old it may be having issues or a
> cable connection is loose or something else.  that is what
> can be tough about such a failure.  adding unstable to that
> well, as they say, sometimes you get to keep all the parts
> of what is broken.  :)

I didn't say the hardware was ten years old, just the Debian
installation. You can often just move a hard drive to a new motherboard
[of the same architecture] and have it boot fairly well, with just a few
bits of messing about to restore full functionality.

Hardware failures will normally cause unpredictable software failures,
I've seen the same problem three times now. It's some form of software
rot.

>   i only run a few bits of unstable (firefox and a few
> other very isolated leaf packages) and always have another
> partition on another device that will boot stable and also
> yet another stable setup on a USB stick, besides the
> netinst image on a USB stick that will boot a rescue
> prompt if needed.  so far i haven't had to use them often
> but when i've had to check something out or compare what
> was going on in stable compared to testing it was a welcome
> help.

I have two buster installations on netbooks and another on a laptop,
with a spare desktop currently containing my final jessie server before
the upgrade to a new stretch hard drive which now runs my HP
Microserver. I'm not short of spare computers. I even have a new
Raspberry Pi 4 which will become one of the new servers to replace the
Microserver in due course.

>   good luck!  :)

Thank you.

--