Re: problem with nvidia on debian buster

On Ma, 10 nov 20, 15:02:42, Alexander V. Makartsev wrote:
> On 10.11.2020 14:04, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> > On Ma, 10 nov 20, 13:32:13, Alexander V. Makartsev wrote:
> > > I want to stay on stable branch for as long as I can, so I found that
> > > installation of nvidia-driver (with myriad of its additional relevant
> > > packages) from buster-backports is a bit tricky.
> > > Personally, I had to setup apt preferences [1], so that only nvidia driver
> > > packages are installed from "buster-backports" and also their updated
> > > versions once they become available for installation.
> > This should work fine in the default stable + backports configuration.
> >
> > Care to provide more details?
> >
> At some point in the past I had to build backports to buster for
> nvidia
> drivers from unstable, because newer versions were not yet available in
> buster-backports.
> The whole build and install procedure was a bit messy, because I need both
> AMD64 and i386 packages and updating nvidia drivers later from
> buster-backports using Synaptic wasn't straight forward either.
> So now, after I setup apt preferences, I can see if updated nvidia drivers
> are available in buster-backports via Synaptic and I also can see and update
> nvidia-cuda-toolkit in same manner.

In the default configuration backports is automatically assigned a
priority of 100, which is the same as already installed packages.

This enables you to install packages and their dependencies from
backports with 'apt install -t buster-backports <package>' and such
packages will also be automatically upgraded should a new version become
available in backports.

This should work with synaptic as well (though you must find out what is
the equivalent of '-t buster-backports').

So it's still unclear for me why pinning backports was ever necessary.

Kind regards,
Andrei