Re: Special Key Assignment? Success

I had not tried putting the expression in quotes. When I did it worked.

Of course keycodes may differ for different systems and different keyboards. With mine xmodmap -pk showed 71 as keycode for F5.

On 10/31/20 4:23 PM, The Wanderer wrote:
On 2020-10-31 at 15:42, Thomas George wrote:

I want to assign a unicode character to an unused key on my keyboard.
For example F6 currently is assigned ~, name of my home directory. I
would like to change it to ♠.

I have  tried xmodmap -e keycode 71 = U2660 and several other variations
without success
Looking at the EXAMPLES section of the xmodmap man page, I see only a
few examples of command-line invocation using '-e', and all of them
have the expression in quotes. Based on that, the first thing I'd
suggest would be:

# xmodmap -e "keycode 71 = U2660"

Was that one of the variations you tried?

The second thing - have you verified that F6 is keycode 71? On my
computer (according to a test just now with xev), it's 72, and keycode
71 is F5.

(I haven't tried remapping this myself, as I don't know offhand how to
reverse it and I don't have a discardable test environment on hand, so I
can't testify as to whether these work for me.)