Re: Sid random crash with no clue in log files

Sébastien Kalt writes:

Hello,

I'm having random crashes on my ASUS PN50 mini PC : sometimes it's while

[...]

When it crashes, the system seems to be not responding, I can move the mouse, but it doesn't click, and then the screen becomes blank. I need to shut down the mini PC pushing the power button for a long time.

[...]

Hello,

common things to test in case of random crashes are hardware-related issues like cooling (CPU temperatures?), power supply and RAM (memtest86+).

Another thing to debug is: While the system is in the described crash state, you can still move the mouse -- this means some software on the system remains running despite not being accessible through GUI. An interesting step could be to attempt a login through SSH (install openssh-server if not already there to enable SSH access). From that SSH login you might be able to call a tool like `htop` to check the state of the system and stop any rouge processes etc.

I used to have similar types of crashes (the screen never went black, but the mouse cursor would move with any further inputs like klicks and key presses ignored) on a system with VirtualBox and the NVidia proprietary GPU driver (must have been Debian 7 or 8 IIRC). If either VirtualBox or NVidia graphics driver were uninstalled, it would never crash that way... In any case, logging in through SSH, I could see that the Xorg process was at 100% CPU. Killing it caused the screen to go black. Attempting to re-start would fail in some way, but afterwards a login from the local system would again be possible and the hard reset could be avoided...

HTH
Linux-Fan

öö