Re: getmail, getmail6, testing, unstable, python-is-python3

On 10/27/20, Reco <recoverym4n@enotuniq.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 10:45:23AM -0400, songbird wrote:
>> Reco wrote:
>> > Indeed. Switch back to fetchmail, because the less you're depending on
>> > python and the software that uses it - the better ;)
>>
>>   i never used fetchmail so that wouldn't be a
>> "switching back" and since i already have my setup
>> working as i want for getmail6 why would i bother
>> doing more work for no gain?
>
> Because python. Be it python 2 or python 3 - it's (in)famous for one
> thing - lack of backwards compatibility. Sooner or later they replace
> python 3.8 (current sid) with, say, python 3.9 - and the things will
> break again.
> Because they did on 3.7->3.8 transition, did before that on 3.6->3.7
> transition and this list goes long way back.

Hi.. Am posting this because it just came through my inbox and feels
like it's appropriate. It's from the Debian-Python list (YESTERDAY)
and says, "Re: help with FTBFS bug due to python3.8/3.9 confusion":

https://lists.debian.org/debian-python/2020/10/msg00066.html

The original post is a little lengthy and might provide some
commiseration that's of interest. Being a professional lurker, I'm
fully in agreement that this is an ongoing deal the last few years.

Between this and the GTK2 v. GTK3 deal, Developers do get frustrated
when it seems like they're constantly chasing breakage issues. When
messages pop about "abandonware" type issues, about the first thing I
peek at (out of curiosity) is whether Python or GTK is part of the
packaging. :)

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey