Re: help with FTBFS bug due to python3.8/3.9 confusion

On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 08:54:37AM +0100, Stephen Sinclair wrote:
> The recommendations are to change the build-dep on "python-dev" to
> "python-all-dev", and I can confirm that this does allow the package
> to build.  (Is this the right thing to do?)
Building a module for all supported Python versions is a right thing to
do.

> However, autopkgtest tests still fail.  The commenter in that bug
> report claims, "the lack of 3.8 modules in the package also explains
> your problem."  However, I do not understand that claim -- wouldn't it
> be counter-productive to specify which minor version of Python the
> package depends on?  I would need to update this manually when the
> default switches to Python 3.9.
If you are packaging a public module you need to provide it for all
supported Python versions.
Not sure which tests fail and how, I don't think this is described
anywhere?

> Although the CMake build is quite complicated and therefore I can
> expect such problems, but I am nonetheless confused why it would
> select the wrong Python version, as I do specify the Python executable
> via the command,
>
> > -DPYTHON_EXECUTABLE=$(shell which python3)"
>
> Is there a better way to find the path to the default python interpreter?
When building a public module you don't need to care about the default
version.

--
WBR, wRAR