Re: aptitude safe-upgrade vs apt-get upgrade.

On Lu, 26 oct 20, 09:55:00, John Hasler wrote:
> Andrei writes:
> > dpkg does its own dependency checking, in addition to APT (the
> > software, not the command), and will prevent any inconsistencies
> > unless you use one of the --force switches.
>
> What it does not do is resolve dependencies.  Apt recursively resolves
> dependencies, installing them as required. It also detects conflicts
> and offers to resolve them as well as breaking loops.

dpkg can only work with the set of .deb files that were passed on the
command line.

If all dependencies are included (or already installed), fine, otherwise
it will bail out as it doesn't (by design) have the capability to search
for them in repositories and download them (if this is what you mean by
resolving).

I believe someone demonstrated quite recently on list that dpkg has some
limits in the number and/or combination of packages it can deal with at
once, so APT might have to pass them in smaller chunks and/or specific
order (in case of Pre-Depends: maybe?).

> Dpkg is safe but can be rather frustrating.

As far as I'm concerned it does just fine what it was designed to do.

Kind regards,
Andrei