Re: Replacement Email Client

Patrick Bartek wrote:

> Hi! All,
>
> Looking for recommendations for a lightweight email client that will
> handle HTML as well as plain text to replace Claws-Mail.  Have been
> using Claws-Mail for years and before it Sylpheed.  Claws used to have
> a basic HTML plugin renderer which was sufficient, but latest version
> does not. And I'm getting more and more important emails in HTML where
> just the plain text is insufficient to fully read the email.  That is,
> text in (or as) images contain some (or much) of the content, etc.
> Also, hate accessing email through a browser. So that option is out.
>
> Both Thunderbird and Balsa have been rejected as T'bird is a behemoth
> and no longer in development; and with Balsa, I don't want to have to
> deal with GNOME-systemd, etc. dependencies. (I don't run GNOME anyway,
> only a window manager Openbox, and use sysvinit and not systemd as
> init.)
>
> Any suggestions?

mutt, with a mailcap that includes:

text/html;      /usr/bin/firefox %s;test=test -n "$DISPLAY"; needsterminal;

and a .muttrc that includes:

auto_view text/html
alternative_order text/plain text/enriched text/html

that gets you a fast, sane mail client which will pop a message into
Firefox should you want to view it that way. (Hit "v" while looking
at the normal version of the message.  Nothing is going to render HTML
better than a browser.

-dsr-