Re: Wifi won't connect in debian

Simon Wooding wrote:
> I have a Lenovo Thinkpad which I used to run Windows on. A few days ago I
> installed Debian 10.6.0 (first as dual-boot to make sure I could transfer
> everything, later deleting the Windows partition). I had to install
> non-free firmware to get wifi working during install, but I found the
> required drivers on Intel's website and everything went smoothly from
> there. Fast forward three days problem free and when I booted up this
> morning I had lost some of the graphical features of my desktop environment
> MATE (the top/bottom panels, my chosen theme, and a number of keyboard
> shortcuts no longer worked) and I couldn't connect to the internet. I don't
> know if these problems are related, but I can't fix the desktop environment
> without internet access so it's somewhat moot.

> I'm not sure what difference using ethernet would make as I can't figure
> out how to connect using that either but I do have access to an ethernet
> port if needed.

Great, let's start with the ethernet port.

Plug in an ethernet cable -- check both ends are connected.

Start a terminal window.

ip link show

will get you a list of recognized network interfaces. The first
one will be lo, the loopback, and you can ignore that one.

With luck, one of them is named

en0 or enp4s0 or eth0 or something like that:

2: enp4s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq
state UP mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether a8:a1:59:08:50:79 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

At this point, you can run

sudo dhclient enp4s0

(or whatever the name of the ethernet port is)

and it should tell you that it has connected and acquired an
address. Then you have Internet service, and other things can be
addresses.

Did a network interface starting with w show up? Tell us about
it.

run

lspci -v |grep Network

and tell us what it says.