Re: Running HGST's DFT utility from a flash drive

On Tue, 20 Oct 2020 15:22:20 -0400
Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> > HGST provides an ISO meant for burning to CD, and an IMG meant for
> > burning to floppy disk. I don't have writable CDs or a floppy drive, so
> > I'm trying to get the software to run off a USB flash drive. I've tried
> > so many different things and wasted so much time, but have still not
> > succeeded:
>
> Have you tried the simple trick of using `grub-imageboot`?
> I.e. after installing the package, put the .iso file into
> /boot/images and dong `update-grub`.
>
> It's bit hit or miss for me (used it for Thinkpad BIOS upgrades), but
> I always managed to make it work in the end (sometimes after cobbling
> up my own .iso out of various other .iso, not knowing quite what I was
> doing).

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it, but it did not work - when I
select the options from the GRUB menu, the screen just goes black and
stays that way. (I tried with just 'update-grub', and with ISOOPTS="iso
raw", as per here:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/24903/how-to-boot-from-an-iso-file-in-grub2

Celejar