define (or translate, or substitute for) "interpolate": Re: rsync --delete

On Saturday, October 17, 2020 06:01:13 PM David Christensen wrote:
> I don't use Bourne arrays, and I barely understand how the shell
> interpolates lists and preserves items containing whitespace.  When I
> can't figure it out, I switch to Perl.

I'm looking for an alternate thing to think of when I see the word interpolate
-- I guess maybe interpret or substitute would be good ways for me to think
about it (think when I see the word interpolate) (maybe see rant, below).

Rant (to ignore):

When I was in school, many years ago, I learned what I consider the
"traditional" meaning of interpolate, typified by the following definitions /
explanations found using google:

define: interpolate

Aside: I guess maybe the merriam-webster 1 b definition might be closest to the
meaning intended, but I think the intention is more to substitute words.

`=
1a : to alter or corrupt (something, such as a text) by inserting new or
foreign matter. b : to insert (words) into a text or into a conversation. 2 :
to insert between other things or parts : intercalate. 3 : to estimate values
of (data or a function) between two known values. intransitive verb.

Interpolation - Wikipedia
In the mathematical field of numerical analysis, interpolation is a type of
estimation, a method of ... variable, may be contrary to commonsense, i.e. to
what is known about the experimental system which has generated the data
points.

In computer graphics, interpolation is the creation of new values that lie
between known values. ... Another example is when a video image in a low
resolution is upscaled to display on a monitor with a higher resolution, the
missing lines are created by interpolation.

Definition of interpolation | PCMag
='

define interpolation computing

`=
What is interpolation in computer science?
In the context of live-action and computer animation, interpolation is
inbetweening, or filling in frames between the key frames. It typically
calculates the in-between frames through use of (usually) piecewise polynomial
interpolation to draw images semi-automatically.

Interpolation (computer graphics) - Wikipedia
Search for: What is interpolation in computer science?
='

Don't know (really) why I bothered to write this, maybe just to express some
frustration, or maybe by writing it I'll clear my brain slightly.  I guess I
could have written it and never sent it -- I'm occasionally that disciplined,
but not always ;-)