Re: SSD and HDD

On 2020-10-11 09:45, mick crane wrote:
Bearing in mind I rarely do installs and when I do usually let the installer do its thing. Got a PC that has SSD and a HDD. I see that you are supposed to avoid writes to SSD for longevity. Is it a matter of putting entries in fstab for /swap /var /home to suitably formatted partitions on HDD ?
Or is there more to  it ?

First, backup any data you want to keep.

Then run the manufacturer diagnostics for both the SSD and the HDD. Run all the tests. Zero all the blocks on the HDD. "Secure erase" the SSD. If anything fails, run any repair functions and test, zero/erase again. Recycle any device that fails or is questionable.

It would help if you told us how you plan to use the computer, and what kind of network it fits into.

I would do my typical install onto the SSD. I believe the installer, boot loader, and/or kernel, etc., are now smart enough to detect the SSD and adjust accordingly. For ordinary workloads, I would not worry about wearing out the SSD.

If you know that you will be running a workload that is going to do heavy I/O onto a particular filesystem, consider:

1. Adding RAM and using tmpfs, as previously suggested. This should provide excellent performance (best?).

2. Add device(s) specifically made for heavy I/O (e.g. enterprise SSD's). Monitor regularly.

3.  Pick sacrificial device(s) and monitor them frequently.

I use pairs of HDD's in ZFS mirrors for storage of bulk data.

I use single HDD's in shock-mounted mobile racks for backup/ archive media.

David