Re: SSD and HDD

mick crane writes:

Bearing in mind I rarely do installs and when I do usually let the installer do its thing. Got a PC that has SSD and a HDD. I see that you are supposed to avoid writes to SSD for longevity. Is it a matter of putting entries in fstab for /swap /var /home to suitably formatted partitions on HDD ?

You can add to /etc/fstab:

tmpfs      /tmp        tmpfs   defaults,size=6G,nr_inodes=1M      0      0

Change 6G to a size that suits you, 1/2 RAM could a good choice. This puts /tmp on a tmpfs such that writes to it no longer go to SSD.

Another common option is using the `relatime` mount option for SSDs, but I do not configure this explicitly on my systems.

Or is there more to  it ?

Depends on what exactly you want. In terms of "avoiding writes" all current SSDs do with typical OS workloads just fine by default and there is no /need/ to configure anything. I personally like that periodic `trim` invocations be made and thus use a cronjob for it:
https://masysma.lima-city.de/32/ssd-optimization.xhtml

I am not sure whether this is the recommended approach to it as of today, though and: It does not reduce writes but tells the SSD controller which blocks are unused by the OS such that it can delete them etc. :)

For further optimization, if using virtual Windows machines, configure them correctly because otherwise Windows may start "defragmentation" -- a lot of unnecessary writes for any SSD.

HTH
Linux-Fan

öö