Re: Firefox over JACK in Debian Testing

On 6/8/20, Christopher David Howie <me@chrishowie.com> wrote:
> On 6/6/2020 11:25 PM, riveravaldez wrote:
>> Hi, here's the thing:
>>
>> AFAIK Firefox lacks JACK support (in the sense that you can start
>> JACK and then Firefox and then, automatically, all I/O audio-ports
>> Firefox generated, appear as available JACK connections, let's say)
>>
>> Is there any Debian package that can serve this purpose?
>
> If JACK is already running when pulseaudio starts, pulseaudio will
> create a single JACK sink and JACK source that redirects audio to/from a
> matching JACK source/sink.
>
> I then use the following script to create additional sinks in PA that
> each have an independent source in JACK: (...)

Thanks a lot, Chris, I've finally found the time to try this, and
these are the steps that seems (at least for now) to be working:

0. An installed and functional JACK and PulseAudio.
1. Install package: pulseaudio-module-jack
2. Close anything that requires PA.
3. Kill PA: $ pulseaudio --kill
4. Start JACK (in my case, through qjackctl).
5. Then start Firefox (this should start PA).
6. Then load (as seen in [1]) the source/sink modules[2] to have I/O
audio through PA administered/connected by JACK (these will appear in
its Connections): $ pactl load-module module-jack-sink/source
7. Use JACK as usual.
8. After stop/exit JACK remember to kill/restart PA in order to it to
retake control of Audio Device.

There are other methods (some more complex) there [3] and there [4].

I couldn't find these steps or Chris' explanations neither in [5] nor
in [6]: should it be added?

Let me know what you think.

Thanks a lot to everybody for all your useful and kind help. I had no
idea before this that this was possible and so easily achievable.

Best regards.

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/PulseAudio#Echo_test:_hearing_the_microphone
[2] https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/PulseAudio/Documentation/User/Modules/#jackconnectivity
[3] https://github.com/jackaudio/jackaudio.github.com/wiki/WalkThrough_User_PulseOnJack