Re: parted lists wrong partitions

On Sun 27 Sep 2020 at 16:47:43 (-0500), Charles Zeitler wrote:
> so, is displaying partitions of all drives normal behavior for
> parted --list /dev/sdb ?
>
> On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 12:02 AM Charles Zeitler <cfzeitler@gmail.com> wrote:
> > i'm working on a thumb drive to use it as install media.
> > su -c 'parted --list /dev/sdb' (/dev/sdb is thumb drive}
> > lists partitions from /dev/sda (system drive)
> > even when /dev/sdb doesn't exist!

It might be worth consulting the man page on commands that you use
as root. A program like parted could do serious damage otherwise.
I would check commands even where they're posted here, or on helpful
web pages: command options and defaults can change with the version
being used (often left unspecified).

In this case,

   -l, --list
          lists partition layout on all block devices

Cheers,
David.