Re: When I log in it just shows my username and the $~ Iʼm completely new

what are you logging into? provide some details like:

"I was running Debian Linux fine, rebooted the computer and..."

or

"I was trying to install Debian. I used instructions at___."

you'll need to provide more details going forward, people will chip in and advise, but at least this is a start, as well as reading the literature that's been suggested.

sounds to me you were trying to install and something went wrong...?

f.

--
Felmon Davis

Verbum sat sapienti.