Re: Returning to /var/log/boot.log

On Thu, 24 Sep 2020 at 10:11, anthony gennard <agennae@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks very much; it will take me some time to understand your advice. I will revert as soon as I can.

On Thu, 24 Sep 2020 at 15:03, Hans <hans.ullrich@loop.de> wrote:
Am Donnerstag, 24. September 2020, 15:45:47 CEST schrieb Greg Wooledge:
I believe, the op wants to look it as easy as possible. So I suggest kwrite
(if he has plasma5 aka KDE installed).

You must got the correct rights. Either you start plasma as root, then you can
just start kwrite and open the log file. or, ifr you start plasma as normal
user, do this:

Start a konsole (like xterm, konsole, uxterm)

then type in "su -p" (without quotes) and enter the password of root.

and last start "kwrite" in this konsole

Now you can open your logfile.

If you are using another window-manager like GNOME, LXDE, Enligtenment
whatever, it might got another graphical editor.

Note: Every graphical application can be started with higher rights from the
konsole (or terminal, how others may call it), by getting higher rights with
su -p.  (the -p stands for "preserve actual environment).

Good luck

Hans