Re: Mail transfer agent

On 2020-09-24 18:19, Brian wrote:
On Thu 24 Sep 2020 at 13:35:17 +0000, mike.junk.46@att.net wrote:

On Wednesday, September 23, 2020, 09:14:42 PM CDT, Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> wrote:
 mutt is an MUA, not an MTA.

What tasks do you want your mail server to perform? Please be
specific. We will have better advice for you once we know
exactly what you want to have happen.
-dsr-
Thanks, Dan,All I need from an MTA is:1) take mail from fetchmail and
put it in a mailbox for mutt to display,2) take mail from mutt and
send it to my ISP via smtp3) take messages from the system, eg: cron
and deliver them to that same mailbox4) take a simple message on the
CL such as:    echo 'blah' | mail -s 'oops' noone@example.com

I've been using exim for years and it works well but is overkill for
my needs.

I too have been using exim for years in a similar way to the way you
describe. It does the job very well and I just let it get on with it.
I don't really understand what you mean by "overkill" and think you are
fussing over nothing.

I know how I get mail.
I've been using roundcube for a few years. I know I put in the SMTP server, account and password for being allowed in the configuration but I actually have no idea what is used for the sending. I probably should.

mick

--
Key ID    4BFEBB31