Re: linux isn't robust enough to handle bad sector??

On Tue 22 Sep 2020 at 10:06:46 (+0000), Long Wind wrote:
>     On Tuesday, September 22, 2020, 2:45:30 AM EDT, David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> wrote:
>
> Seagate SeaTools Bootable is a USB flash drive live Linux distribution
> with an app for testing Seagate products.  Microsoft Windows is not
> required:
>
> https://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/
>
> That is a vintage computer.  But, I would expect it to work with the
> Seagate ST3320311CS; if both are in proper working order.
>
> Test the Seagate ST3320311CS using the ThinkCentre and Seagate SeaTools
> Bootable.
> it has only exe file, no iso file, you need Windows
> https://www.seagate.com/files/old-support-files/seatools/USBbootSetup-SeaToolsBootable.zip
> and i have little reason to do more test. it has passed short and long tests by smart and badblocks tests. i've removed it from hp to thinkcentre, and easily created FS. its problem with hp won't be solved by tool from seagate. i'll just use it in thinkcentre.
> Thank Reco for educational post on bad sector!i've just read it and found it instructive.

You picked the wrong file to download. Go back to the
https://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/
page and read the text in the corner of the browser
window as the mouse hovers over the big blobs.
The second blob down goes to
https://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/seatools-legacy-support-master/
Here you will find graphical and text versions that
are bootable ISOs which run under FreeDOS:
https://www.seagate.com/files/www-content/support-content/downloads/seatools/_shared/downloads/SeaToolsDOS223ALL.ISO
and
https://www.seagate.com/files/www-content/support-content/downloads/seatools/_shared/downloads/SeaToolsDOS112.ISO
with instructions: