Re: linux isn't robust enough to handle bad sector??

On 9/20/20 11:53 PM, David Christensen wrote:

On 2020-09-20 01:40, Reco wrote:
    Hi.

Hello.  :-)

On 2020-09-20 00:49, Long Wind wrote:
      On Sunday, September 20, 2020, 2:15:21 PM GMT+8, David Christensen
First, backup your data.
Please run the following command and post your complete console session
-- prompt, command, output.  Substitute DISKID as appropriate:

      # smartctl -x /dev/disk/by-id/DISKID

Thank you for posting the smartctl report.  I don't see any obvious problems.

I do. First, drive does not have any bad sectors,

197 Current_Pending_Sector  -O--C-   100   100   000    -    0
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   ----C-   100   100   000    -    0

Yes.

I'd also do a smartctl -A and look at the raw read errors. Depending on the disk manufacturer, that can be a good indicator that there's a failing sector, and the drive is doing lots of reads before it can actually access the data in a block or sector.

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined:
nothing works and no one knows why.  ... unknown