Re: linux isn't robust enough to handle bad sector??

On 2020-09-20 01:40, Reco wrote:
	Hi.

Hello.  :-)

On 2020-09-20 00:49, Long Wind wrote:
      On Sunday, September 20, 2020, 2:15:21 PM GMT+8, David Christensen
First, backup your data.
Please run the following command and post your complete console session
-- prompt, command, output.  Substitute DISKID as appropriate:

      # smartctl -x /dev/disk/by-id/DISKID

Thank you for posting the smartctl report.  I don't see any obvious problems.

I do. First, drive does not have any bad sectors,

197 Current_Pending_Sector  -O--C-   100   100   000    -    0
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   ----C-   100   100   000    -    0

Yes.

Second,

SATA Phy Event Counters (GP Log 0x11)
ID      Size     Value  Description
0x000a  2            2  Device-to-host register FISes sent due to a COMRESET
0x0001  2            0  Command failed due to ICRC error 0

[1] helpfully states:

CRC error during data transfer
This is indicated by ICRC bit in the ERROR register and means that
corruption occurred during data transfer. Up to ATA/ATAPI-7, the
standard specifies that this bit is only applicable to UDMA transfers
but ATA/ATAPI-8 draft revision 1f says that the bit may be applicable to
multiword DMA and PIO.

So, it's either a damaged SATA cable, or a damaged SATA port on a
motherboard.

[1] https://www.kernel.org/doc/htmldocs/libata/ataExceptions.html

Without specialized test equipment, about all I can do is buy surplus hardware and apply a process of elimination.

David