Re: weird behaviour of quotes in bash variable assignments

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 01:19:22PM -0700, David Christensen wrote:
> On 2020-09-21 00:52, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> > What does the builtin "shopt" say? Especially the value of `compat42'
> > is involved in quote removal.
>
> Joy! Joy! Happy! Happy!  Another whole dimension for potential problems!

There is great confusion here, because the OP was so vague and misleading
about *everything*.  Including which shell was being used.

"compat42" and "shopt" are bashisms.  They are not present nor relevant
in dash.

> RTFM dash(1) I don't see any 'compat' keywords... (?)

Correct.

> STFW https://html.duckduckgo.com/html?q=dash%20compat42 I don't see 'compat'
> anywhere on the first page of hits... (?)
>
> Where are the above settings documented?

In bash(1).  They are bash settings.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no bash shopt or compat* setting
that will change the behavior of quotes in such a profound way as to
cause the problem that the OP imagined he had.

At this point, I'm still convinced that it was a curly-quote issue.  Of
course, we'll never know for sure, because the OP is incapable of presenting
simple facts like "here is the script which fails" and "here is its output".