Re: weird behaviour of quotes in dash variable assignments

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 12:59:32PM -0400, Gary Dale wrote:
> Did you try it with Konsole? I got
>
> $ hd
> a       b
> 00000000  61 20 20 20 20 20 20 20  62 0a |a       b.|
> 0000000a

In other words, konsole *did* alter the contents.

> Most shells (all that I am aware of) treat tabs and blanks as generic white
> space - not relevant to the execution of the code.

Between arguments, sure.  Tabs and spaces are equivalent in those places.
But inside a quoted string argument?  No, they're not equivalent.

Who knows what other conversions might have taken place?

You were trying to troubleshoot a script that wasn't doing what you
expected.  And yet you just hand-waved everything, rather than getting
in there and doing the work to actually *check* things.