Re: dist-upgrade wants to deinstall lots of packages?

On 9/17/2020 10:29 AM, Joe wrote:
On Thu, 17 Sep 2020 17:14:30 +0200
Hans <hans.ullrich@loop.de> wrote:

Am Donnerstag, 17. September 2020, 17:01:29 CEST schrieb Joe:
Hi Joe,

No offence. :)

And none taken. Yes, I've lost one or two applications over the years
which I was actively using. But it is rare for this to happen without a
good substitute (in someone's opinion) being available.

I would not say it is rare. It is quote common. I think the OP perhaps wants some sort of more or less automatic substitution, which is not practical.

But it does happen. I use Remmina for MS remote desktop, but there was
a time when that was very buggy, and the previous best RDP software had
been withdrawn. I carried on using the latter as long as I could, by
which time Remmina was useable.

Oh, wow! I did not know about this software. I need to give it a whirl. Thanks!

Alarm Clock was the most recent
application I was using which was withdrawn. It's a bit more of a
problem when it's a driver for proprietary hardware, which
manufacturers often do not provide for Linux, and only one person/group
was making an OS version, more or less as a hobby.

It's more of a problem with Windows. Whether it is a matter of the company being bought and the product terminated, the company going out of business, or the product being discontinued, at least with an open-source solution, one can manage the product one's self.