Re: dist-upgrade wants to deinstall lots of packages?

On Thursday, 17 September 2020 11:14:30 -04 Hans wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 17. September 2020, 17:01:29 CEST schrieb Joe:
> Hi Joe,
>
> yes I know, this is normal for unstable. I am using debian/testing,
> which is close to unstable.
>
> The point of my message was not the deinstallation of packages at all,
> but the deinstallation of packages which are still usefull for people
> without a substitute or a substitude with the same ease as the
> uninstalled package.
>
> Think of people, they do an upgrade after 2 years (or earlier) and
> their applications are gone. Might be ok for experienced people (who
> are experienced in the console), but this is not ok for ".
>
> There are more than you expect.
>
> No offence. :)
none taken

> Best regards
>
> Hans

Dear Hans,
that is all very true, especially for "people, who NEED graphical, easy
to use tools". But guess what - it happens to Apple OSX Users all the
time. Last time, for example, they threw all 32bit Software into the
historical bit-bucket and lots and lots of useful software went down the
drain.
I'm afraid that this will happen with Debian too when supporting 32bit
architecture becomes less and less feasable. It happens always with any
architecture when maintainers lose interest, hardware becomes harder to
come-by, the maintainer(s) experience(s) job related changes or their
health is making trouble, or they need more time for the kids.
That is the way it is and always will be.
Cheers
Eike