Re: Use of installer's interactive shells on tty1-tty4

On Tue, 15 Sep 2020 at 00:10, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
> On Mon 14 Sep 2020 at 19:48:37 (+1000), David wrote:
> > On Mon, 14 Sep 2020 at 04:05, Felix Miata <mrmazda@earthlink.net> wrote:
> > > Richard Owlett composed on 2020-09-13 05:15 (UTC-0500):

> > To explore and confirm and maybe learn something from
> > smarter people, I report below some actual test results:

> > I begin by booting the buster installer on real hardware,
> > and it stops at "Debian installer main menu".

[...]

> > I was unable to find any evidence for the use of /dev/tty1,
> > apart from pressing alt-F1 working as expected.

> > But I was just poking around cluelessly for curiosity, someone
> > else might know a way to do that. BusyBox 'ps' appears to not
> > provide tty information.

[...]

> > I'm not very knowledgeable about all this tty stuff so I will leave
> > it at that.

> Same here. An interesting search.

I found more answers in /etc/inittab in the installer BusyBox
environment and saved a copy of it to show here ...

$ grep tty busybox-etc-inittab
tty2::askfirst:-/bin/sh
tty3::askfirst:-/bin/sh
tty4::respawn:/usr/bin/tail -f /var/log/syslog
tty0::respawn:/sbin/debian-installer

And if I understand correctly, tty0 is "the current tty" which
for some reason must get activated as /dev/pts/0 rather
than /dev/tty1.