Re: qemu - some confusions

	Hi.

On Fri, Sep 11, 2020 at 11:10:28AM +0200, Kamil Jońca wrote:

> I try to migrate some my ancient virutal machines from virtualbox to
> qemu, and some things are unclear for me.
> 1. scsi devices:

> %qemu-system-x86_64 -device help|grep lsi
> name "lsi53c810", bus PCI
> name "lsi53c895a", bus PCI, alias "lsi"
>
> but in  /usr/share/libvirt/schemas/domaincommon.rng
> we have:

>               <attribute name="model">
>                 <choice>
>                   <value>auto</value>
>                   <value>buslogic</value>
>                   <value>lsilogic</value>
>                   <value>lsisas1068</value>
>                   <value>vmpvscsi</value>
>                   <value>ibmvscsi</value>
>                   <value>virtio-scsi</value>
>                   <value>lsisas1078</value>
>                   <value>virtio-transitional</value>
>                   <value>virtio-non-transitional</value>
>                 </choice>
>               </attribute>
> what is relation between them?

As usual, libvirt provides you only the subset of qemu true
possibilities. Discrepancies such as this are to be expected.

> I tried to edit machine via virsh and set "lsilogic" value. Machine
> started and in command line I can see:
> "[...] -device lsi,id=scsi0,bus=pci.4,addr=0x0 [..]"
> so it is seem to be translated "lsilogic -> lsi".
> Any hints about that? Point to proper doc?

In this particular case, qemu defines both lsi53c810 and lsi53c895a in a
single hw/scsi/lsi53c895a.c, and short of couple switches there is no
discernable difference between them.
As for the doc, qemu's documentation could definitely use some
improvement, and it's been like this for at least 10 years or so, so I
use [1].

> Another (OT) question:  does anybody knows about places from I can take drivers
> for these ( lsi53c810 , lsi53c895a) controllers for windows NT 4 and
> windows 2000?

Ask this guy - [2], seriously. He's *the* digital archeologist and a
Windows enthusiast at the same time.

Reco

[1] git://git.qemu.org/qemu.git
[2] https://virtuallyfun.com