Re: Slow SSH over WLAN? How to check?

On 2020-09-03 06:48, riveravaldez wrote:
Hi,

I'm under the impression that one of my LAN-SSH connections is working
poorly. When I SSH from a wired desktop machine (generic) to a
Wi-Fi-ed notebook (ThinkPadX220) things take irregular and seemingly
excessive amounts of time to happen (you type and the text appears a
moment later, etc.). This is just a
desktop→cable→router→Wi-Fi→notebook (W)LAN scheme.
Issue appears also logging from notebook to desktop.

Also I've been having some apparent poor performance in simple
web-navigation with that notebook (always through Wi-Fi), so, I'm
suspecting: maybe some issue with the firmware-iwlwifi?

$ lspci | grep "Network controller"
03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Centrino Advanced-N 6205
[Taylor Peak] (rev 34)

Both machines run Debian testing (updated).

What could I do to check/test the health/performance of the connection
in order to diagnose if there's effectively a problem?

Thanks a lot!

I assume your access point has utilities to determine what channel(s) are in use and to survey the radio environment to see how much traffic is on each channel. Run it. If your access point has the ability to dynamically choose a channel with less traffic, enable that feature. If your access point does not, set the channel(s) to those with less traffic. Also, check if the radio(s) have power settings -- it may be possible to increase the transmitter power.

How far is your laptop from the access point? Is there a clear line of sight, or are there walls, ceilings, floors, or other objects in between; especially objects made of conductive materials and/or containing electric circuits? The ideal situation is to have clear line-of-sight between your device and the access point. In an indoor home environment, this is most readily accomplished by mounting an access point on the ceiling near the center of every room where Wi-Fi is used. If you use Wi-Fi outdoors, mount an access point to the house wall facing the area. You will want access points that are designed to work together.

David