Re: Slow SSH over WLAN? How to check?

On 9/3/20, riveravaldez <riveravaldezmail@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm under the impression that one of my LAN-SSH connections is working
> poorly. When I SSH from a wired desktop machine (generic) to a
> Wi-Fi-ed notebook (ThinkPadX220) things take irregular and seemingly
> excessive amounts of time to happen (you type and the text appears a
> moment later, etc.). This is just a
> desktop→cable→router→Wi-Fi→notebook (W)LAN scheme.
> Issue appears also logging from notebook to desktop.
>
> Also I've been having some apparent poor performance in simple
> web-navigation with that notebook (always through Wi-Fi), so, I'm
> suspecting: maybe some issue with the firmware-iwlwifi?
>
> $ lspci | grep "Network controller"
> 03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Centrino Advanced-N 6205
> [Taylor Peak] (rev 34)
>
> Both machines run Debian testing (updated).
>
> What could I do to check/test the health/performance of the connection
> in order to diagnose if there's effectively a problem?

You can use iperf to see how bad wireless thruput is.  LinSSID
  https://packages.debian.org/buster/linssid
is an easy way to find a relatively open wireless channel.

Then there's spectrum analyzers that show how much noise/interference
there is on wireless.. but they cost money and other than moving your
laptop or AP somewhere else there isn't a whole lot you can do about
interference :(  I suspect you'd be better off spending your money on
a better wireless card or a better AP.

Regards
Lee