Re: how to test disk for bad sector

On 30.08.20 03:03, Gene Heskett wrote:
On Saturday 29 August 2020 20:39:29 Marco Möller wrote:

On 30.08.20 00:01, Long Wind wrote:
(...)

[liveuser@localhost-live <mailto:liveuser@localhost-live> ~]$ sudo
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda1 bs=8M status=progress

(...)

14386462720 bytes (14 GB, 13 GiB) copied, 151.001 s, 95.3 MB/s
dd: error writing '/dev/sda1': No space left on device
1719+0 records in
1718+0 records out
14418915840 bytes (14 GB, 13 GiB) copied, 153.319 s, 94.0 MB/s

Unfortunately, this looks bad for your disk, because you said in
another post that your disk is supposed to provide a storage space of
320 GB. But in this test only 14 GB could be written to it and then it
is claimed to already have been filled completely. So, in context of
another post of yours, where you say that you could install a system
to a new disk mounted to that same computer, you found the problem:
the supposed to be 320 GB hard disk is either broken in a very strange
way, or it is even a fake disk sold to you as a fraud.

Wishing you good luck with your new disk and new installation!
Marco.

Uh, I have to ask. Or maybe I came into the middle of what has become a
boring thread?

dd is a whole device writer, but his command line is to an existing
partition? His command line should not have had the 1 according to my
thinking.  His whole disk might be 320 gigabytes as /dev/sda, but how
big is sda1?

Cheers, Gene Heskett

You are right, Gene! I did not notice that it was written to partition "/dev/sda1", because I didn't expect this test to only be written to a partition instead of test writing to the whole disk. I have not noticed this detail in the answer when replying to it, shame on me.
My recommendation was to use the command like this:
  sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/WritingToThisDisk bs=8M status=progress
Long Wind, the test works only if you overwrite the full disk. So, as Gene pointed out, after the test which you did by now it cannot be concluded what I concluded in my former answer!

We by now only know that writing to the 14 GB of partition "/dev/sda1" worked correctly, but we do not know where on the disk this 14 GB are actually located and we also still do not know about the rest of the disk and if it continues to work fine also for a bigger data load occupying the electronics for longer time.

So, if you are interested to still know about your old drive, although you said that you already installed successfully to a new drive, then you may want to direct the test all the device and not only a partition of it.

Best regards,
Marco.