Re: how to test disk for bad sector

On Saturday 29 August 2020 22:01:03 Long Wind wrote:

>    On Saturday, August 29, 2020, 9:04:17 PM EDT, Gene Heskett
> <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
>
>  Uh, I have to ask. Or maybe I came into the middle of what has become
> a boring thread?
>
> dd is a whole device writer, but his command line is to an existing
> partition? His command line should not have had the 1 according to my
> thinking.  His whole disk might be 320 gigabytes as /dev/sda, but how
> big is sda1?
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett
please, I know english is not your 1st language, but your email agent is
also broken because it allowed you to post below my sig separator. So I
am forced to copy/paste in order to include your question, which was:

You are right. to save time i use sda1, not sda.
sda1 has about 14GB, sda has 320GB

i have posted result of badblocks early, it shows
"From block 0 to 14080971"it means how much disk space it is testing?

To whiuch my reply is yes, that figure is in 1024 byte blocks, which
would be about 14 gigabytes that you zeroed out, needlessly I think.

Sig separators are the double dash under the Che below, followed by a
space and a newline. The definition is:newline dash dash space newline.

And is usually mucked up horribly by html mail agents.

Refresh me please on the full name of the real file you were writing to
this disk when you hit the out of space error.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis