Re: Homebuilt NAS: System Drive Filesystem?

On Mon, 24 Aug 2020 10:40:30 +0100
Jonathan Dowland <jon+debian-user@dow.land> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 09:02:05PM -0700, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> >Opinions?  Suggestions?  Recommendations?
>
> If I were doing this, I would remount / as read-only after boot, see
> what complains, and make adjustments to either stop those processes
> writing, or redirect where they write to (such as mounting something
> else over /var/log, or disabling logging, or disabling cron jobs for
> services I don't really need, etc)

Some good suggestions.  Although, I'm not sure which ones would be
practical or even possible.  Have to do a default install to see how
things get set up.

> I've never used F2FS, I did read a bit about it when it was first
> announced. It's had several decades less battle-hardening than plain
> old ext4, so I'd personally be inclined to avoid it.

Since F2FS is not supported directly for an install, one would have to
convert to it after or configure the flash drive with another computer
before the install. I don't know if it is worth the time to do so.
EXT4 without journaling would be easier.

> But I'd also avoid trying to run / on a flash drive. I just use a
> logical volume on my NAS storage for the OS. I can't see a reason not
> to.

Of the three or four dedicated NAS software packages I've looked at,
all require installing the OS, etc. on its own dedicated drive and NOT
on a drive DATA will be stored on.  Although, I'm sure there's a hack to
do otherwise. On this old box I'm using, it does have an IDE port
(Master and Slave), so I could use that instead of a flash drive, but I
don't have any IDE drives anymore.

Thanks for the input.