Re: stretch vs iptables auto-start

On Du, 23 aug 20, 21:34:12, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Sunday 23 August 2020 15:45:22 Joe wrote:
> >
> > My server iptables is inherited from, I think, sarge, so it's probably
> > not done optimally today. It's an init script run from /etc/rcS.d.
>
> Ah,/etc/rcS.d/S18netfilter-persistent
> but that does not mention iptables anyplace in it.  Whats the diff?

Why should it mention iptables?

By the way, at least with systemd on buster the 'nftables' package is
set to automatically load rules from /etc/nftables.conf, there is no
need for any additional packages.

> Or better yet, can this "netfilter" thingy import a set of rules saved
> from iptables?  Hey, I've got an idea, go RTFM.  Except there isn't one.

A quick web search found
https://wiki.nftables.org/wiki-nftables/index.php/Moving_from_iptables_to_nftables,
which also mentions iptables-translate, according to
https://packages.debian.org in the package 'iptables' (at least on
buster).

Kind regards,
Andrei