Re: "What's wrong with...?"

Teemu Likonen wrote:
> Q: What should we eat today?
> A: What's wrong with Chinese food?
>
> Q: What novel do you suggest me to read next?
> A: What's wrong with The Three-Body Problem by Liu Cixin?
>

> Is there a culture where "what's wrong with" means "I suggest"? Or is
> there a culture where it is common that person's suggestion will be
> rejected and they prepare for that by turning it to a question: "What's
> wrong with [my suggestion]?"
>
> OK, sorry. No need for long cultural off-topic discussions. I just think
> that such counter question are strange. Questions which have completely
> wrong premises.

The question is really:

What's wrong with what I consider the default?

Which is a slightly rude question, as it presupposes that
everyone will consider it the default answer.

Any number of replies can be made, starting with:

- I didn't know about that. What's good about it?

- I knew about that and wanted to know if there was something
  superior.

- I don't consider that a good default. What makes it good here?

- I don't consider that a good choice at all

and so on.

-dsr-