Re: Is there permissve GPL3 compatible license ?

On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 12:39:48PM +0200, Marek Mosiewicz wrote:
> W dniu śro, 19.08.2020 o godzinie 19∶50 +0200, użytkownik Thomas
> Schmitt napisał:
> > Hi,
> >

> > If it's a complicated network of license derivations, then write it
> > down
> > and publish it with your license statement. But BSD->GPLv2 is simple.
> >
> I think Apache2->GPL3 compatibility is defined in GPL3 section 7
> (Additional terms). This section allows to add additional "permissive"
> terms to part of program as long as whole program is governed by GPL3
> license
>
> Acctually after carefully reading GPL3 license it seems that having
> copy or running GPL3 program privately is not prohibited, even if you
> violate license (section 9. Acceptance Not Required for Having Copies.)

That's absolutely right. GPL (2 or 3) puts no limits on usage, only
on (re)distribution: you are allowed to (re)distribute if you grant
the receiver the same rights which were granted to you under that
license.

(Actually, to be more precise, the limits are there by "normal" copyright
law, and are lifted for you by the GPL).

Cheers
-- t