Re: Recommendation for filesystem for USB external drive for backups

On Fri, Aug 14, 2020 at 10:31:08AM +0100, Jonathan Dowland wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 09:32:13PM +0000, ghe2001 wrote:
> >Two for sure and put them in a RAID1 -- formatted ext4. And watch that
> >mdstat.
> >
> >And a third or fourth to see if you can get ZFS going.
>
> For playing around with tech, sure: for part of a mundane, reliable
> backup strategy for the OP, and as an external, hot-pluggable drive,
> I disagree, RAID is not a good idea for this use-case.

Absolutely. It's like jumping on your semi-trailer to go grocery-shopping.

What's a RAID good for? It's to ensure service continuity in the case
of a disk failure. Perfect for a server which has to be running 24/7
with as little downtime as possible.

Is backup a case for that? No. For backup, you

 (a) check the fs on your backup media
 (b) mount that file system
 (c) run the backup
 (d) unmount

When you discover your media is corrupt/broken, yon restart with a
new medium.

If you need any redundancy, you keep several backups in parallel
(which you keep physically separate, so your house burning down
doesn't catch all of them at once).

Adjust accordingly for over-the-net backups. Other variations
possible. No variation of it makes any kind of RAID look attractive.

Now if you are setting a backup server for hundreds of clients,
that's another story. I'd consider RAID for that (not RAID1, though).

If you want to play with toys, by all means, do it. That's what
we're here for. Backup doesn't seem the right playground for
this toy.

Cheers
 - t