Re: add 2FA to ssh

On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 09:39:43AM -0500, Nicholas Geovanis wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 13, 2020, 6:47 AM Henning Follmann <hfollmann@itcfollmann.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 01:37:39PM +0200, Pòl Hallen wrote:
> > > Hi folks :)
> >

> > > what it better with 2FA: at ssh login request first 2FA authentication
> > next
> > > ssh password or viceversa?
> > >
> > > thanks!
> > >
> > > Pol
> >
> > sorry to say, but 2FA is again one of the hype things. Why do you need 2FA
> > for ssh. I mean a really good reason.
> > Maintain a good keychain and you wont need 2FA.
> >

> The usual reason is an out-of-band or hardware-based one-time pad. The
> additional password is for that session only.

That is not a reason. This is "how".
The "session only" I kind of get though.
But still. Currently everyone is pushing 2FA and most of the time
the implementation sucks or there is no good reason for it.
And for ssh a password protected keychain is the reasonable
way to go.

-H

--
Henning Follmann           | hfollmann@itcfollmann.com