Re: tape drives

mick crane wrote:
> Do people use tape drives for backup ?
> I saved data to tape before but I think they were DAT and not very big but
> see that these LTO-2 tapes are 600Gb and not expensive.
> Do people use those ?

Yes.

However, my company has switched over to using disk storage for
backups. The time-cost for retrieving a file or a directory is
much lower, and we do that small recovery much more often than
we need to bring back an entire machine.

Also note that LTO-2 is 200GB per tape, not 600. Tape
manufacturers have an awful habit of pretending that all data is
compressible, and citing a compressed storage amount instead of
the raw storage amount.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_Tape-Open should be helpful
to you.

-dsr-